Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Update: The First Week

Well, we've been filming for one week and its been pretty crazy overall. I can't count how many clicks we've put on our respective cars - I'm guessing somewhere between 3,000 and 5,000km.
And I've seen a helluva lot of cows. Some big ones too.

The strangest thing has been happening; whenever the cows see us come in with our Cameras they just start to pooh. In every barn we go to, we can't have an interview without a cow making diarrhea in the background. Even if the cow is not in frame you can still hear it, which is equally disgusting. Long story short, our boom pole got a little dirty once, and we now do interviews outside the barns whenevert possible.

No big problems yet, which is pretty good. Benji, Dave (Benji' s selling partner), Jon (Sound) and I are getting along really well, which is pretty huge as we've been spending literally 10-12 hours together non-stop locked up in a car.

No big technical issues either, which is sweet because our final budget ending up being 20% of our total projected expenses. Well, I guess some people would consider that alone a big techincal issue, but we'll just work around it. Looks like we're not going to have a lighting kit for this movie :)

It took a little time for me to get aquantined with the video equipment - its actually pretty funny how much my camera work improved over the first three days of filming :) . In addition to our main camera, a PDX10P, we just rented a second camera (DVX100A) yesterday for the rest of the shoot - a "backup" camera. Even though it is technically a "better" camera, I don't know how eager I am to switch over to it as I am really starting to love the little PDX10P. That and I don't want to have to deal with merging 24P footage and PAL footage on a timeline together.

So we've been to Picton, Walkerton, Guelph and a whole bunch of other places which I don't remember. I have no idea where we're going next, and we have no real schedule. I tried keeping to a schedule, but it just won't work. Our original plan was to drive across Canada, but Benji keeps getting sidetracked and re-routing us elsewhere. Oh well, its still an adventure.

This whole cow business really boggles my mind. I'm going to start investing in cows tomorrow morning with Benji - a new subplot for the film maybe. Let's see what Ari's $500 can grow into by the end of the film!

Anyways, we're off to meet Benji in Guelph tomorrow morning at 6:40, so I gotta wake up at 5:00 am. Better get my bags packed, batteries charged and get to bed.

Cheers,
Ari
P.S. - Moo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home